How Bhutan Has Changed Me: Natalia Wangdi

Natalia Wangdi, who is from Russia, speaks about how Russian culture is so similar to Bhutanese culture and how she feels like home in Bhutan.

Ms Wangdi and her husband at Paro Taktsang, famously known as Tiger's Nest Monastery. (Source: Natalia Wangdi)

By Passang Lhamo | Daily Bhutan

"I heard about Bhutan because I was Buddhist practitioner since long time ago so I wanted to visit one day, but I didn't know that I will be so close to Bhutan,” said Ms Natalia Wangdi.

Ms Wangdi, who is originally from Russia and currently lives in Thimphu, is the owner of Brusnika Russian Cafe and Bakery in Langophakha.

Ten years ago, Ms Wangdi – a Buddhist practitioner – visited Bodgaya in India for a week to attend annual moenlam (to pray for peace and harmony in the world) "The Kagyu Moenlam for World Peace"  and that was where she met her future husband a Bhutanese, who had travelled to Bodgaya too. They married in 2011 in Russia and received their marriage certificate in Bhutan in 2016.

Ms Wangdi and her husband with beautiful view of Tashichho dzong from their cafe. (Source: Daily Bhutan)

Her husband is from Trashiyangtse and they have three beautiful daughters. The elder one is studying in class one in Thimphu Primary school. Right now, they are living in two countries: half a year in Bhutan and half a year in Germany, as Ms Wangdi’s husband is doing his PhD in Hamburg University, but she said that “we plan to settle in Bhutan after he completes his studies”.

Ms Wangdi and her family at Changgangkha Lhakhang temple. (Source: Natalia Wangdi)

Visited Bhutan as a tourist 10 years ago

She first came to Bhutan as private guest of her future husband 10 years ago.

"From the beginning, I felt Bhutan was like a home,” recalled Ms Wangdi, who was born and grew up in the Republic of Buryatia, which is part of Siberia, Russia that borders Mongolia. It is one of the Buddhist republics in Russia. Interestingly, Buddhism is one of official religions in Russia.
She added that the culture and the life in Russia, especially in her homeland is similar to how life is in Bhutan. For example, there is abundant nature in both Bhutan and Buryatia, Tibetan Buddhism is widespread, and even the way she receives guests in Russia is the same way how the Bhutanese visit their families. So for Ms Wangdi, life in Bhutan is similar to her life in Russia.

When asked if she misses home, Ms Wangdi said: “No, I don't miss home, it's my home here (laughs). Of course I miss my family, but I visit my family once a year. Anyway before I came to Bhutan, I didn't stay with my parents. Since I was 17, I went to big cities to study and I was travelling a lot around , so it's not like I left something suddenly in my country and came here.”

Mr and Mrs Wangdi at their Brusnika Russian Cafe and Bakery. (Source: Natalia Wangdi)

Opening Brusnika Russian Cafe and Bakery

In a white double-storey house facing Ludrong Memorial Garden is both Ms Wangdi’s workplace and home. On the ground floor, she runs Brusnika Russian Cafe and Bakery, a cosy cafe where she bakes and sells an assortment of bread and pastries. There is also a playground outside and play zone inside the cafe for the kids.

Brusnika Russian cafe and Bakery at Langjophakha, Thimphu. (Source: Daily Bhutan)

She said: “As a parent of three small kids, I understand what parents need, so we made the lounge with a play zone so that parents can dine and children can play.  It's really good for everybody in the end.”

Lounge for the parents and a kids corner. (Source: Daily Bhutan)

When Ms Wangdi was in Bhutan and pregnant with her first child, she said she missed having bread very much.

“For Russians, breakfast is always bread. It was difficult for me to have rice as breakfast every day,” she said.

So she started to bake her own bread. She said it was not so difficult for her because most women in Russian families know how to make bread. She found out that some Bhutanese also like bread and came up with an idea to open a bakery. It was difficult to adjust recipes for local ingredients, so, even though Ms Wangdi uses traditional Russian recipes, she had to change all the ingredients, and now we will not find anything in her bakery that uses the original recipe from Russia.

Ms Wangdi told us that not all her staff were professional from the beginning, so she taught them how to make breads and cakes. Now, she serves four types of bread, and bread is the bestseller in her cafe. From breads to cakes, the cafe has now moved on to serving lunch and dinners as well.

“I use mostly local ingredients and most are from the vegetable market. This is our concept here,” she added. “But I have to bring something from Russia as well, like some herbs and spices.

Organic wholegrain bread and the beautiful Tashichho Dzong in the background. (Source: Natalia Wangdi)

“Now I have a team of 10 people and I’m very proud that I could teach somebody, provide jobs and most importantly, they are managing so well! I can leave the café for a few months and I don’t have to worry because my Bhutanese team makes everything themselves.”

Natalia Wangdi with her team at Brusnika Russian Cafe. (Source: Natalia Wangdi)

How it’s like living in Bhutan

“I don’t know any other place where Buddhism is so alive. I like to stay here more than any other countries. I feel like it’s more like home here and very much relaxing. I enjoy being in Bhutan,” said Ms Wangdi.

She added, “Bhutan is very different. It’s one place where people think about nature, culture and religion.”

The new things she learnt being in Bhutan is eating hot and spicy foods. She says she likes to eat chillies now and it has become a habit for her to have a little bit of chillies with meals.

Ms Wangdi and her husband also run a travel agency. “We receive mostly Russian guests and they always share how they like Bhutan, how they feel happy here. So I feel like I found my way: I show Bhutan with its rich culture and I show a bit of Russian culture to Bhutanese people in my café.”

IMG_5158 (1).jpg

Related Posts

How Bhutan Changed My Life: Tamiki Nakashima

Tamiki Nakashima, who is from Japan, speaks about how life is like for him while living in Bhutan.

Apr 25, 2019 11:11

How Bhutan Has Changed Me: Julie Chapman

Julie Chapman, who is from the California, speaks about how life was like for her while living in Bhutan.

Apr 18, 2019 10:20

How Bhutan Has Changed Me: Mieke Copper

Mieke Copper, who is from the Netherlands, speaks about how life was like for her while living in Bhutan.

Apr 10, 2019 08:23

How Bhutan Has Changed Me: Dr Adrian Chan

Dr Adrian Chan has served the Kingdom of Bhutan since 2013. He moved here in 2015 to be the resident faculty in RIGSS.

Jul 06, 2018 14:26

Advocating For A Central School For The Sakteng Community In...

Jun 15, 2019 23:58

National Biodiversity Monitoring Protocol Drafted To Ensure That...

Jun 15, 2019 15:18

Latest

News

Bhutan Observes World Day To Combat Desertification, Advocates Sustainable Land Management

In Bhutan, this day is considered important as it focuses only on land.

Jun 17, 2019 18:28

Embracing Diversity - Bhutan Takes Huge Step Towards Decriminalising Homosexuality

Sections 213 and 214 that criminalised ‘unnatural sex’ removed from the Penal Code of Bhutan.

Jun 13, 2019 22:48

Features

Advocating For A Central School For The Sakteng Community In Bhutan

Mangmi Lhendrup said that without boarding facilities, small children were left without care and guidance from their parents.

Jun 15, 2019 23:58

National Biodiversity Monitoring Protocol Drafted To Ensure That Bhutan’s Rich Biodiversity Thrives

The development of the protocol is Bhutan's first attempt to put in place a proper biodiversity monitoring system at the national-level.

Jun 15, 2019 15:18

Sports

Bhutan’s Dragon Boys Starts FIFA World Cup Qualifiers With A 1-0 Win Over Guam

Midfielder, Tshering Dorji’s 35th minute strike was enough to make Bhutan win the first leg of the first round of the 2022 World Cup and...

Jun 07, 2019 22:18

Meet Choki Om – First Woman From Bhutan To Become A FIFA Referee

Originally from the district of Wangdue, Choki has already been a referee for over a decade.

May 16, 2019 20:58

Business

Swiss Business Delegates Visited Bhutan To Explore Business Opportunities

“Switzerland has a strong industrial base that equally matches the geographical conditions of Bhutan,” said Phub Zam.

Jun 14, 2019 17:25

Celebrating Bhutan's Entrepreneurs: Pema And Rinchen Dorji Wangyel Of Wangyel Studio

This story is part of an exclusive feature by Yeewong Magazine in Dec 2018 on celebrating entrepreneurship in Bhutan.

May 28, 2019 19:18

Travel

Incorporating The Values Of Gross National Happiness Into Bhutan’s Hospitality Sector

High-end hotels like Six Senses and Zhiwa Ling have come up with their own ways to incorporate the tenets of GNH and sustainability...

Jun 09, 2019 19:28

Harnessing The Power Of Traditional Medicine, Wellness Tourism Set To Take Off In Bhutan

Traditional medicine has been gaining popularity in providing health care services to the Bhutanese.

May 29, 2019 19:48

Lifestyle

5 cafes to visit in Thimphu

Best places to hang out in Thimphu for a steaming mug of coffee along with a delicious bite to eat.

Jun 19, 2019 10:30

Food Review: Cloud9 Cafe & Bar

Cloud9 has always been known in Thimphu for dishing out handcrafted gourmet burgers.

Mar 09, 2019 09:44

Never miss out on new happenings and news stories!