Bhutanese Footballers Can’t Be Underestimated

“Bhutanese footballers are underestimated. I was given less time to play when I played outside for the first time. However, I worked hard to prove my potential.”

Bhutanese Footballers Can’t Be Underestimated. (Source: http://www.kuenselonline.com)

Chencho Gyeltshen, Minerva Punjab football club’s forward, is displaying the collective potential of Bhutanese footballers.

The 21-year-old is the lone Bhutanese playing for one of the top division professional leagues in India. Chencho Gyeltshen joined his new club Minerva Punjab FC on October 18 and made his debut against the Rail Coach Factory (RCF) at the Punjab state league in the same month.

He played his first I-League match against Mohun Bagan on November 25, a club that he faced as a Druk United skipper in 2013 during the King’s Cup.

Chencho Gyeltshen won the Man of the Match Award

His performance in the league caught the attention of the crowd when an equaliser and an assist led Minerva Punjab FC’s win over NEROCA FC in the second I-League match. He also won the man of the match award for pulling a comeback win against NEROCA FC.

The forward led his team in the first away match against Indian Arrows on December 12 and registered the first away match win of the season in Goa, India.

In the next game, when Minerva Punjab hosted Chennai City, Chencho Gyeltshen was a player to be reckoned with. His cross from side flank ended behind the net to double the rebound equaliser, defeating Chennai City 2-1.

In an email interview, Chencho Gyeltshen said that it was hard to gain the trust of club officials, teammates and coaches when he played for the first time.

In trying to prove his potential, he said that he is also working on opening up opportunities for upcoming Bhutanese players. “It’s difficult to reach where I am today, but I need to keep working hard.”

His career as a professional footballer began in early 2015, when he got a chance to undergo a month-long training in Thailand with Buriram United, a professional Thai football club.

Prior to joining the Minerva Punjab FC, he has also played for the Chittagong Abahani in the Bangladesh Premier League, after which he was with the Thimphu City FC at home.

“I had to choose between education and career and it was the toughest thing to do,” Chencho Gyeltshen, who left schooling after class XII, said. “I believed in myself and chose my career.”

Playing in the I-League is a dream

He said that playing in the I-League is a dream. “My supporters back home wanted me to play. They believed in my potential and insisted that I play here.”

Chencho Gyeltshen said he is one of the key players. He scored a goal against NEROCA FC, and two assists in four I-League games.

“I am satisfied with my performance to date and I aim to perform better,” he said.

“My dream is to win the title with the club and to play in the Indian Super League.”

By Nima (This article has been edited for the Daily Bhutan)

This article first appeared on Kuensel.

Related Posts

Stakeholders Discuss National Sports Policy

The Bhutan Olympic Committee submitted a proposal to the government for the development of the national sports policy....

Nov 23, 2017 07:35

Bhutanese Bodybuilders Hope to Win Medals

The 9th World Bodybuilding and Physique Sports Championships is underway in Ulaanbaatar, the Capital of Mongolia. Four...

Oct 07, 2017 18:51

The Perils of Dha – Bhutan’s National Game

Dha (Archery), the national sport of Bhutan is a double edged sword – while it is entertaining, it can also be...

Sep 30, 2017 05:33

Bhutanese Female Archer makes a Comeback

Sherab Zam is a former national archer with the Bhutan Archery Federation. The 35-year-old retired in 2013 to become a...

Oct 06, 2017 07:03

Coach Pema Returns to Lead National Squad

Coach Pema has the experience of leading the boys since he first took over the squad in the match against the Maldives...

Nov 04, 2017 17:30

Latest

News

Bhutan Launched 21st Century Economic Roadmap To Engage Citizens On Nation’s Progress

Prime Minister Dr. Lotay Tshering launched the website and it can be accessed through http://economicroadmap.gnhc.gov.bt

Feb 25, 2020 23:38

Bhutan’s Tarayana Foundation Launched Micro-loans For Rural Community Development

The pilot phase of the programme will start from this year in Samtse, Tsirang and Zhemgang for 18 months.

Feb 21, 2020 23:48

Features

The Bizarre Culture of Night Hunting in Bhutan is Fading

In many parts of eastern Bhutan, Night Hunting is a courtship tradition, a rural version of urban dating. In hard-working, farming...

Feb 27, 2020 06:44

Tribes Of Bhutan - The Brokpas

Merak and Sakteng is home to the Brokpas, a semi-nomadic yak herding tribe who originated from the Tshoona region of Tibet.

Feb 22, 2020 23:48

Sports

Karma – Female Archer From Bhutan Qualified For Tokyo 2020 Olympic Quota

Karma has been specialising in Olympics-style archery since 2009.

Nov 30, 2019 13:18

Bhutan’s Pelden Wangchuk Wins 10th Edition Of Tour 0f Dragon Mountain Bike Race

This year, the race also saw the highest number of female participants compared to past years.

Sep 10, 2019 01:08

Business

Centre Of Excellence For Software Engineering Launched By Bhutan’s Thimphu Techpark

The purpose of establishing this centre is to fulfil His Majesty the King’s vision of using technology to solve problems.

Feb 24, 2020 23:58

Two ‘Made In Bhutan’ Products To Hit The Market Soon, Also Eyeing Overseas Foray

Druk Peci and Bhutan Green Product were launched on 19 February.

Feb 20, 2020 23:38

Travel

Forging the Unbeaten Trail Towards Wangdue Nye

When you dedicate year 2020 to hike on unbeaten trails in Bhutan.

Jan 21, 2020 10:58

Make Your Own Personalised Stamps And Discover Bhutan’s Postal History At The Postal Museum

The Bhutan Postal Museum in Thimphu is also a major tourist attraction.

Jan 18, 2020 21:08

Lifestyle

See Exquisite Garments On Display At The ‘Royal Robes - Wangchuck Dynasty’ Exhibition

The exhibition will remain open to the public until January 2021.

Feb 19, 2020 23:28

Nightlife in Bhutan

The nightlife is delaying the day by engaging with fun and recreational activities at owl hours. Thimphu Nightlife could fascinate you.

Feb 08, 2020 12:22

Never miss out on new happenings and news stories!

Download Daily Bhutan Mobile App

Connecting with us just got easier!