Bhutanese Footballers Can’t Be Underestimated

“Bhutanese footballers are underestimated. I was given less time to play when I played outside for the first time. However, I worked hard to prove my potential.”

Bhutanese Footballers Can’t Be Underestimated. (Source: http://www.kuenselonline.com)

Chencho Gyeltshen, Minerva Punjab football club’s forward, is displaying the collective potential of Bhutanese footballers.

The 21-year-old is the lone Bhutanese playing for one of the top division professional leagues in India. Chencho Gyeltshen joined his new club Minerva Punjab FC on October 18 and made his debut against the Rail Coach Factory (RCF) at the Punjab state league in the same month.

He played his first I-League match against Mohun Bagan on November 25, a club that he faced as a Druk United skipper in 2013 during the King’s Cup.

Chencho Gyeltshen won the Man of the Match Award

His performance in the league caught the attention of the crowd when an equaliser and an assist led Minerva Punjab FC’s win over NEROCA FC in the second I-League match. He also won the man of the match award for pulling a comeback win against NEROCA FC.

The forward led his team in the first away match against Indian Arrows on December 12 and registered the first away match win of the season in Goa, India.

In the next game, when Minerva Punjab hosted Chennai City, Chencho Gyeltshen was a player to be reckoned with. His cross from side flank ended behind the net to double the rebound equaliser, defeating Chennai City 2-1.

In an email interview, Chencho Gyeltshen said that it was hard to gain the trust of club officials, teammates and coaches when he played for the first time.

In trying to prove his potential, he said that he is also working on opening up opportunities for upcoming Bhutanese players. “It’s difficult to reach where I am today, but I need to keep working hard.”

His career as a professional footballer began in early 2015, when he got a chance to undergo a month-long training in Thailand with Buriram United, a professional Thai football club.

Prior to joining the Minerva Punjab FC, he has also played for the Chittagong Abahani in the Bangladesh Premier League, after which he was with the Thimphu City FC at home.

“I had to choose between education and career and it was the toughest thing to do,” Chencho Gyeltshen, who left schooling after class XII, said. “I believed in myself and chose my career.”

Playing in the I-League is a dream

He said that playing in the I-League is a dream. “My supporters back home wanted me to play. They believed in my potential and insisted that I play here.”

Chencho Gyeltshen said he is one of the key players. He scored a goal against NEROCA FC, and two assists in four I-League games.

“I am satisfied with my performance to date and I aim to perform better,” he said.

“My dream is to win the title with the club and to play in the Indian Super League.”

By Nima (This article has been edited for the Daily Bhutan)

This article first appeared on Kuensel.

Related Posts

Stakeholders Discuss National Sports Policy

The Bhutan Olympic Committee submitted a proposal to the government for the development of the national sports policy....

Nov 23, 2017 07:35

Bhutanese Bodybuilders Hope to Win Medals

The 9th World Bodybuilding and Physique Sports Championships is underway in Ulaanbaatar, the Capital of Mongolia. Four...

Oct 07, 2017 18:51

The Perils of Dha – Bhutan’s National Game

Dha (Archery), the national sport of Bhutan is a double edged sword – while it is entertaining, it can also be...

Sep 30, 2017 05:33

Bhutanese Female Archer makes a Comeback

Sherab Zam is a former national archer with the Bhutan Archery Federation. The 35-year-old retired in 2013 to become a...

Oct 06, 2017 07:03

Coach Pema Returns to Lead National Squad

Coach Pema has the experience of leading the boys since he first took over the squad in the match against the Maldives...

Nov 04, 2017 17:30

Latest

News

Bhutan Celebrates World Children’s Day, Renews Commitment To Well-Being Of Children

UNICEF’s Bhutan Representative, Dr Will Parks said that children today encounter multiple challenges to childhood that were not envisaged 30...

Nov 21, 2019 23:38

Dumtseg Lhakhang Restored To Its Former Glory By Her Majesty The Royal Grandmother Of Bhutan

Her Majesty the Royal Grandmother graced the consecration ceremony of the renovated Lhakhang on 15 November.

Nov 17, 2019 16:28

Features

Homestays Gaining Popularity With Tourists Seeking To Experience Authentic Bhutanese Lifestyle, Food And Culture

Villagers were provided with grants to help them develop homestay facilities such as indoor plumbing.

Nov 18, 2019 21:58

Global Happiness Alliance Aims To Spread Concept Of Gross National Happiness Worldwide

The alliance seeks to enhance the understanding of GNH as a concept and to spread it all around the world.

Nov 08, 2019 23:08

Sports

Bhutan’s Pelden Wangchuk Wins 10th Edition Of Tour 0f Dragon Mountain Bike Race

This year, the race also saw the highest number of female participants compared to past years.

Sep 10, 2019 01:08

Tour Of The Dragon – Toughest One Day Bike Race Starts On 7 September In Bhutan

It takes sheer toil and stamina for the top riders to complete the 268 km race which finishes at the capital, Thimphu.

Sep 06, 2019 23:58

Business

Celebrating Bhutan's Entrepreneurs: Kinley Rabgyel Of Goximbo

This story is part of an exclusive feature by Yeewong Magazine in Dec 2018 on celebrating entrepreneurship in Bhutan.

Nov 20, 2019 23:58

Gakyed Gatoen - Festival of Happiness Seeks To Promote Bhutan’s Products

The idea of the festival was to enable tourists and Bhutanese to learn about the traditional cottage industry.

Nov 01, 2019 23:28

Travel

Bhutan’s Black-Necked Crane Festival Drawing More Foreign Tourists

Some 500 tourists from around the world came to Bhutan to see the Black-Necked Crane festival, exceeding the number of locals.

Nov 14, 2019 23:18

Bhutan Bird Festival Set Bird Watching Haven Of Zhemgang Abuzz

Zhemgang is home to more than 500 species of birds, which is an area much sought after by bird watchers from around the world.

Nov 13, 2019 12:48

Lifestyle

Bhutanese Textiles To Be Exhibited In Paris Trade Fair 2020

The exhibition is an initiative of the EU-Bhutan Trade Support project.

Nov 10, 2019 12:48

Launch Of Karen Greenspan’s Footfalls From The Land Of Happiness: A journey Into The Dances Of Bhutan

The book delves into familiar subjects that are what continues to shape Bhutan’s image.

Oct 05, 2019 10:18

Never miss out on new happenings and news stories!

Download Daily Bhutan Mobile App

Connecting with us just got easier!