Bhutanese Bakery 'Rolling Pin' Boost Sales With Social Media

Using social media, Rolling Pin's products have been selling like hot cakes.

A cake by Sonam Choden, owner of Rolling Pin. (Source: www.facebook.com/pg/sonamceee)

By Pema Seldon | Business Bhutan

If you think that the only way to pursue your passion for baking is by opening a confectionery, think again.

Sonam Choden, 25 from Wangdue proved that it can be done from home. She embarked on a home-based bakery last year and has by now built a career through social media to fulfil her dream.

Harnessing the power of social media

She uses social media as a platform to engage with potential clients and she sees a lot of opportunity on social media to promote her services.

“I reach out to the people or customers through my Instagram and Facebook pages,” she said.

Sonam added that social media can be a great tool to sell products or attract followers. Her interest in baking was sparked off by watching YouTube videos.

“I noted recipes I saw in those videos and tried them out when I got the time,” she said.

Source: Facebook/sonamceee

“I advertise my business and products on social media. Instagram is by far the most helpful tool I use to spread the word about my business to people,” she said.

She added that she is very active on social media. “I put pictures of my products everyday on Instagram. I think, for any business, using social media is a very strategic idea now that almost 80% of the Bhutanese population use Facebook and Instagram.”

Background of Sonam Choden

However, Sonam Choden never thought of starting a bakery until she graduated from the Bongdey Institute of Hotel and Tourism in Paro. She is also armed with a Bachelors in Business Administration from the ICFAI University (Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts of Indian University) in Sikkim.

“The training opportunity came very suddenly and I took it without giving it much thought. When the training was over, I actually thought I could start a business with what I had learned,” she said.

More about Sonam’s products

She started with baking simple cakes and pizzas but now she can bake more complex cakes and even muffins, cupcakes and pastries.

Although her home-based bakery called the Rolling Pin produces the standard range of birthday cakes, pastries, pizza, burgers and sandwiches, what sets Rolling Pin apart is the additional, continuous production of new homemade products such as the spicy emadatshi tart, mushroom datshi tart among others that are well-suited to the Bhutanese palette.

Sonam Choden said that when you invest in something that you are very passionate about, seeing it grow in front of your eyes is definitely a high point.

“When I started my business, I’ll be honest here, there were times when I doubted if anyone would even be interested in what I had to offer, but seeing it now and knowing how far I have come is a very satisfying feeling.”

Although she is happy with her work, she said that the challenges she faced as a baker is that she does not have all the baking equipment she requires.

“I think many bakers will agree with me when I say that not all the equipment we need are available in Bhutan. I get help from my cousins and other relatives who are overseas to obtain these equipment,” she said.

Financial help from the Loden Foundation

The Loden Foundation has agreed to fund her business with a total amount of Nu 6,50000. So far, she has availed a collateral-free loan of Nu 3,50000 as financial help from the Foundation.

“This fund has been immensely helpful. I have managed to buy equipment that I did not previously have,” she said.

Though social media gives her the platform to sell her goods, she still dreams of expanding her home-based business into a brick and mortar café.

“I think having a café in town would increase the span of my business but because I work from home I can only cater to orders my customers have placed online,” she said.

Some words of advice from Sonam for business aspirants

According to her, for people to have successful businesses, or to be successful in life, they will have to do what they love, persist through failures and have lots of drive.

“If you do what you love, you’ll never work a day in your life,” she added.

This article first appeared in Business Bhutan and has been edited for the Daily Bhutan.

Related Posts

Green Vibes – Thimphu’s First Fresh Juice Outlet

Green Vibes is the first fresh smoothie outlet in Thimphu, opened by a young, promising entrepreneur, Kinley Wangdi.

Apr 11, 2018 20:23

Bhutanese Artisanal Chocolates Infused With Exotic Local...

Yiga Chocolates uses unique local ingredients like chilli, sea buckthorn, cardamon, gooseberry, persimmon, walnut and...

May 03, 2018 10:12

Mama's Dream - Bhutanese Clothing Line For Children

Mama’s Dream also manufactures its entire clothing items in Bhutan, hence it helps to create various employment...

Apr 16, 2018 21:50

Nine Bhutanese Nature-Based Products Launched

The products include anti-wrinkle cream, balm, liniment oil, massage oil, perfume, soaps, and hand sanitisers developed...

Apr 07, 2018 16:25

Popularity of Bhutan Natural's Lemongrass Oil

Bhutan Natural began to import Lemongrass oil from Bhutan in 2016. “We have since established ourselves as a reliable...

Nov 05, 2017 10:41

Demand for Bhutanese Honey Encourages Farmers To Take Up...

Bhutan’s organic honey is highly sought after for its fine quality.

Apr 16, 2018 00:31

Latest

News

Letter From The Editor: We’ve Changed Our Name To Daily Bhutan

Daily Bhutan was formerly known as New Bhutan Times.

Jan 16, 2019 09:56

EU Commits To Support Bhutan Beyond 2023, After Its Graduation From Least Developed Countries Status

“We’re happy to continue working with Bhutan in improving services delivery to the citizens of the country.”

Jan 15, 2019 17:00

Features

Bhutan Is The First Country To Record The Life Cycle Of Ludlow’s Bhutan Glory Successfully

Over 367 days, Tshering Dendup closely observed the metamorphosis of the national butterfly, recording each change in the physical...

Jan 13, 2019 14:42

Community Forest Members In Bumthang, Bhutan Undergo Training In Furniture Making

For some of the trainees who are still in their early 20s, the training enables them to be equipped with new job skills.

Jan 12, 2019 11:41

Sports

Japanese Volunteers Taught Football Skills To Some Young Monks And Hope to Reach Out To All Other Monastic Institutions In Bhutan

Held on World Children’s Day on 20 November, the programme was spearheaded by the Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers (JOCV).

Nov 24, 2018 06:06

Female Archer Dorji Dema Hopes To Inspire More Women To Take Up Archery In Bhutan

Dorji Dema, a mother of three is among the first women in Bhutan to play in an archery tournament.

Nov 05, 2018 08:11

Business

Housing.Bt Received Funding From An Investor Through The Jab-Chor Platform For Young Entrepreneurs In Bhutan

The Yarkay Group Private Limited supported Housing.bt with Nu 2 million.

Jan 07, 2019 13:58

Founder Of ‘Sushi’s Candles & Crafts’ Wants To Inspire More Women In Bhutan To Become Entrepreneurs

Sushanta wants to set a shining example for more women in Bhutan to fulfil their dreams of starting their own businesses.

Jan 05, 2019 15:19

Travel

A Tourism Office Slated To Be Established In Every District In East And Central Bhutan

Establishing a tourism office in every district will help to promote tourism across the country, said the Lyonpo.

Jan 16, 2019 08:16

Hidden ‘Igloos’ Of Dochula – Caves Where One Can Meditate And Find Inner Peace

The caves will benefit those who seek inner peace.

Jan 10, 2019 16:29

Lifestyle

Bhutanese Boyband O'Strangers To Play In Pattaya For 2 Months

They are the first Bhutanese rock band to perform at Hard Rock Cafe Pattaya in Thailand.

Jan 04, 2019 15:13

Learn How Some Kids Engage Themselves Meaningfully This Winter Vacation In Bhutan

Attracting more than 200 participants, the programme attempts at making children and youth learn some skills and explore new interests.

Dec 29, 2018 10:09

Never miss out on new happenings and news stories!